love and the sky
by Elyse Love, MD
Love and the sky is a career and life blog for young people in medicine who are ambitious, selfless, loving, and a little bit fly. Love and the Sky readers seek and create beauty in every arena of their life.
- how to be successful in medicine
- creating and maintaining healthy relationships
- fashion and beauty - both in and out of the hospital / clinic
- staying fit and healthy
- self-love for the selfless, professional care giver
- career profiles of people who personify the ideals of love and the sky
- links to shop Elyse's favorite fashion and beauty looks
Elyse was born and raised in Birmingham, Alabama. She completed high school at the Alabama School of Fine Arts, where she was a "math and science" major. She completed undergrad at the University of Alabama (roll tide!) where she earned a Bachelor of Science in Biology and a minor in the Computer Based Honors Program. She immediately matriculated to medical school at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, Georgia. After completing medical school training, she returned home to Birmingham, Alabama to complete a transitional intern year before finally leaving the South for dermatology residency training in NYC. She is currently a PGY-2 trainee at the Ronald O. Perelman Department of Dermatology - one of the best dermatology training programs in the country/world. She splits her time between learning dermatology, nurturing love and the sky, and spending as much time as she can with her boyfriend Alex - who is a dermatology resident back in Atlanta.
Love and the Sky is a culmination of many inspirations and aspirations in Elyse's life
- The joy of creating: Elyse created several interfaces to improve the doctor-patient clinical encounter during her research period in medical school. These projects sparked a memory of the sense of satisfaction in creating a product - a thrill she had not experienced since her remote days of computer programming in high school and college. These projects also emphasized the usefulness of technology to simplify and deliver information.
- Her many mentors: The urge to "pay it forward" became overwhelmingly strong once Elyse matched dermatology - a long term goal of hers that would not have been possible without the support of the caring mentors in her life - Mona Love, Dr. Michelle Clermont, Dr. Jason Clark, Amber Krueger, Dr. Suephy Chen, Dr. Benjamin Stoff, and Dr. Robert Sewerlick to name a few. Blogging has allowed her to share her secrets and opinions with thousands of readers during her busy training because blog posts created in the wee hours of the morning/night can be consumed by readers whenever and however often they choose.
- Her long love of beauty magazines and beauty blogs: Allure magazine, Glamour magazine, Elle Magazine, InStyle magazine, intothegloss.com, and thecoveteur.com were a few of Elyse's favorite escapes during medical school. She often dreamed (and still does) of writing for one of the publications one day.
- The power of the media: The final catalyst for this bog was the shooting of Michael Brown and the reporting of the events related to his murder. In that time, Elyse realized the media's power to share or hide knowledge and to dispel or promote stereotypes. She began to consume more of The Atlantic, The NY Times, and The Washington Post. Unsure how to make a change, Elyse decided that she would dive into the power of social media and become a powerful, positive source of media.
I have been incredibly fortunate in my career achievements, but I didn't get here alone! I have had incredible mentors guide me step by step. Love & the Sky was born out of my desire to share those tips with those seeking answers. My goal is for this website to grow into a community of young professionals sharing advice as they master new arenas of life. I also hope aspiring young professionals can gain inspiration and practical knowledge to achieve their goals. - Elyse Love, MD
taking pictures of trees
long walks in Piedmont Park with Alex
undergrad: University of Alabama, B.S. biology, minor Computer Based Honors program
medical school: Emory University School of Medicine, M.D.
intern year: Brookwood Baptist Health Systems, transitional year
residency: Dermatology, New York University
In this interview, Elyse shares her everyday beauty routine, her favorite beauty products, and her overall beauty philosophy.
n this interview, Elyse shares 3 fun facts and 3 of her biggest residency application tips.
In this interview, Elyse gets personal about the reality of being a minority in medicine.